We talk a lot about how to be environmentally friendly
in your everyday lives. But do you know how to be environmentally friendly when you’re out having fun? Eco living doesn’t stop when you go out on the town—it needs to be a lifestyle that you take on in everything you do. Here at Whole Earth Packaging, we have a few tips on how to be environmentally friendly no matter where you are.
How to be environmentally friendly
- You can drink tap water at restaurants. In fact, tap water is more strictly regulated than bottled water—so it’s probably better for you in the long run. If you drink tap water, you’ll end up reducing the amount of plastic bottles that get used up. Remember, about 60 million of those containers get tossed per day. And if you switch to tap water, you can save as much as $7 per day.
- Do you know how to be environmentally friendly with your music? If you download your music instead of purchasing it from the store, you can reduce the amount of discs out there. You wouldn’t believe how many outdated and unwanted CDs end up in landfills.
- Turn of your entertainment center when you’re not using it. Electronics like TVs, cable boxes, DVD players, computers, music systems, and gaming consoles consume as much as 40% of their full operating power when they’re left in standby mode. Turn them off completely. They’ll last longer, and you’ll reduce your electric bill. It’s important to know how to be environmentally friendly in every aspect of your life.
- Carry your golf clubs! It’s as simple as that. It’s hip to walk the course these days—carrying or pulling your own clubs. You’ll save anywhere from $10-$25, and you’ll cut down on any emissions from the cart.
- Use rechargeable batteries whenever you can. The average person owns around a dozen batteries at a time. And Americans throw out approximately 179,000 tons of batteries per year. Know how to be environmentally friendly? Get rid of the single-use batteries. You can use a rechargeable battery up to 1,000 times.